Monday, October 27, 2008

Our Bodies

Well we had just a wonderful weekend, so I thought I would share it with everyone. We first, on Friday night carved pumpkins with our friends the Carter's. We had a great time and some great laughs. Aaron carved a "Y" on his pumpkin for BYU and I just went with your typical pumpkin face.



Saturday Aaron started off his day with playing some football with his brothers, which is probably his all time favorite thing to do, and then we were headed off to the BYU vs. UNLV football game. "Stop em cougs!" Pretty close game, but BYU played well and pulled off a win in the end.

Then that night Aaron and I, and some of our best friends Zane and Michelle all headed up to Salt Lake City to attend the exhibit, Body Worlds. For those of you who might not be familiar, it is an amazing exhibit where human bodies and body parts are put on display to show just how amazing our bodies really are. Now a lot of you are probably freaked out by now, but I am telling you it is science and art at its best. I could go on and on about how truly amazing our bodies are. This is one thing I personally feel so strongly about. When I tell people I am a dance major, pretty much the only response I get from people is, "Oh how FUN!" In peoples minds all they think is that I dance all day and some how that earns me a college degree, which is so far from the truth. Now don't get me wrong there is so many hours during the week that I am physically dancing, but I would say that I am in a classroom setting just as much. While in the classes I get to learn so much about our bodies and how we connect to people through movement, how we can use our bodies to create art, how our body can create aesthetically pleasing movement, and how are bodies function. I just finished an anatomy course this past summer, which was the hardest class I will ever take, but was truly so rewarding. Can I just attest to how beautiful and inspiring the human body is and how it works. Again Body Worlds was just another reminder for me of how blessed I am to have my healthy body, how I am able to move it through space on a daily basis. Even if I am just walking or dancing. From the modern dancer within me I encourage everyone to re-discover their body, move like you have never moved before, notice the space and energy around your body. Indulge in movement, and find connections within your body that you never knew existed. What a beautiful tool we have been given, make sure to always treasure it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I MUST have a copy of the picture of these handsome brothers!!!! Please make me one....Speaking of bodies, I'm off to the gym.

Tracy E said...

Okay, I'm officially grossed out by the bottom pictures (not the top ones,though there is something about pumpkin guts that isn't too pleasent either.) and I know I'd be very squiemish at that exhibit. (Didn't want to go when it was here in Atlanta either) But I'm glad you have enjoyed all that learning. You definetely could be in the medical field? How was Aaron's stomach on this one? Thanks for sharing on appreciating our health and bodies. I feel very blessed to feel good in the morning and get up to move and find joy every day. I'm going to think today even more with your food for thought! And by the way, I'm sure the other picture of the brothers bodies is great food for thought for MANY girls out there.(Except for Aaron who we are very happy is taken by Megan)

Happy The Man said...

I stepped up to your challenge.


I think I hurt myself...


Young bodies are great (thank goodness for the resurrection). Old bodies are, well, old.

Sarah Young said...

Megan, I'm totally with you on my humbled respect for the human body! I would totally go with you to look at muscles and brains as art! While I am not much of a dancer, I have felt the same reverence training for my marathon (sigh...oh so long ago) and carrying and giving birth to my girls. I wish people remembered more what an amazing gift their bodies are and respected them as such.